Sunday, February 7, 2010

Just Google it...duh?!

I think the internet is part of our everyday lives and definitely effects the way that we process information, but to say that it makes us stupid is bold and in my opinion incorrect. We have all been to a gathering were a particular topic comes up and everyone is enjoying the conversation, until we get stuck and want to know more. That is usually when you hear a friend say…well, just Google it.

We have come to a point where Google and other internet browsers can answer all of your questions…that is incredible. Hey, if this is something that works, why do it any other way? Obviously it is faster to look the information up on your phone than in a book. Additionally, now you can browse the information quickly and decipher the relevant and credible information for the not pertinent.

As a consumer, I am sold; the internet makes me more knowledgeable. I can look up the review for a product before I make the purchase. Now when I walk into a car dealership, I can understand the different terminology and not feel like I am getting tricked. How can this be something bad?

The only negative way that the internet is affecting consumers is by making them impatient. You want more information and you want it now. So, when we are talking to someone and do not get an answer right away we get irritated.

Along with impatience we have developed a shorter attention span. This brings a new challenge to marketers, if you do not grab our attention right away; we are going to move onto something else. The consumer is now more informed and need more, to be attentive.

The internet has created a more knowledgeable consumer by making information gathering easier and faster. Just Google it and decipher between the good and bad.

As a whole, the internet is a positive asset that gives consumers the opportunity to obtain and hopefully retain knowledge quickly. Could you imagine going back to finding answers to questions by using a book? I cannot, I love having the information at my fingertips.

Don’t know the answer to a question? Just Google it…I dare you.

4 comments:

  1. Right there with you. I feel like the internet has enabled people to accelerate learning the fundamentals of previously unknown topics. Like the car dealership example you used, previously you had to depend on personal experience or word of mouth to prepare to purchase the car. Now information is just a few clicks away.

    This does make me wonder though, that in spite of the increased influence of social media has the internet encouraged us to become more self-reliant (and less social) when finding information?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right that the internet empowers users.

    My greatest concern is not with the existence of tools like Google, which provides instant access to surface information, but with the loss of other research tools, like libraries, which provide slower access to a depth of information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to KK's comment, I'm finding social media actually makes me more social in finding information.

    I mean when I have a question about something, I think about who knows about that subject, and then send them a quick IM message, text, whatever to find the answer. I rely much more on my network now. Social search engine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adeograc, I could not agree with you more.

    I think we have more outlets to get answers to our questions and get reliable recommendations on things from our friends and people we may not speak to very often, but fully trust.

    ReplyDelete