Sunday, February 28, 2010

Virtual learning replacing real?


Virtual learning does not work for me. Even though I understand the benefits, I have a hard enough time concentrating while I am in a classroom. Take me out of the classroom and have me listen to a lecture online, I can promise that for 80% of the time, I will be zoned out.

Of course, this is not something that I do on purpose, but it is really hard for me to stay engaged. If I do not see the professor in front of me it is hard for me to interact and feel that I am an active participant. I just feel that it is harder to have a discussion virtually where a lot of the discussion is typed. Even if some of it spoken, it still gets lost and hard to follow because you do not have the face to face interaction.

For me the virtual classroom would never be able to replace the real one. There is just too much benefit gained from having the live interaction, that I would only do virtual as a supplement or a special circumstance.

Maybe a virtual classroom is easier to do when it is actually done in second life and you have your own avatar instead of just listening to a lecture over the web, but I still feel that I am not a fan. Virtual brainstorming and collaborating is one thing, but virtual learning is not for me. Also, the virtual classroom requires more discipline than real classroom learning, but has a lower retention rate. Which for me is not a fair trade off.

Is virtual learning going to be the only option in the future?

3 comments:

  1. Virtual learning is definitely a preference and I do not see it becoming mandatory in the near future, at least in normal circumstances. Snowstorms and other unexpected anomalies make having a virtual option a better-than-nothing backup plan.

    What is clear to me is that those who can effectively learn in a traditional classroom setting and virtually are going to have an increasing advantage going forward.

    If it were not for virtual learning (webcasts, podcasts, etc) I would not be able to keep up with my continuing education requirements for the certifications I hold. So I may be a little biased towards the option of virtual education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like virtual learning because you lose the face-to-face interaction. But you bring up a great point about zoning out.

    I 110% agree that if all my learning were done virtually, I would be watching TV, even cleaning dishes after about five minutes. There are too many outside distractions. We seem them even in the classroom with students playing on their cell phones. Just imagine if the professor wasn't there to hold them accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if a hierarchy might develop where in-person is the preferred and more expensive option, with institutions cropping up surrounding virtual for a second option. Well, I guess this sort of exists with online degrees. Its better than nothing, but won't be as good an education as in-person.

    Maybe it'd be of great use for rural learners, especially in less developed countries. That is if they could get an internet connection. Its better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete