Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lost in translation

It is definitely crazy to think about everything that a cell phone can do. Our cell phones have literally turned into mini computers and it makes you wonder...what is next?

I think the majority of my friends own some type of smart phone that has internet capability. It is no longer enough to just check your email and surf different sites at home or work, it is a ability that we as consumers crave on the go. Now everything that we can do at our computers at home we can do on our mobile devices.

Interestingly enough it has become a social norm to constantly email, text and update the status on all of your social networks. Now, when you are having a conversation with a friend, it is quite common for them to have their phone out and be looking down and texting or sending an email during your conversation. At first this was seen as rude, but now in most cases it has become socially accepted.

Don't get me wrong I love texting and emailing, but I do find it rude when someone is on their cell phone while we are having a conversation. Unless, you are the CEO of some big company or it is a family emergency...I think your friend can wait a few minutes until we are done. It makes me feel like the technological interaction has become more important than the physical one.

I have experienced the head down, constantly texting with a few head nods a lot with my younger cousins. It is insane how fast they can text, but I do worry that the only way that they interact and communicate with friends is through their cell phone.

It seems like a lot can be lost in the translation because there is no physical interaction. You just read the words and interpret. This brings up an interesting point for the future of business. If everyone is going to be communicating through their cell phone, what is going to happen to physical interaction? Which in my opinion is extremely needed to run a successful business, you cannot just count and words and hope that they are interpreted in the correct way. To me that just seems way too risky.

2 comments:

  1. You bring up such a good point about how now it's almost "socially acceptable" to have your phone out at all times.

    I know people who put their blackberry's out on the table at fancy restaurants.

    When did we decide this was okay? Have we lost touch with each other, even when we are in the same location?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point about texting during a conversation begs the question, "Does social media really bring people closer together?"

    It also makes me wonder how this is culturally different in America vs. other countries. Are we truly less personal the the rest of the world or is this a global trend?

    ReplyDelete